February 8, 2013: Minutes

February 8, 2013 In Minutes

I. Call to Order

The monthly meeting of Officers and Directors of the Iowa Chapter of the International
Association of Arson Investigators was called to order by President Crooks at 10:06 AM at the
DCI Crime Lab, Ankeny, Iowa.

II. Roll Call

Roll call of Officers and Directors:

Mark Crooks – President –Present
John Grier – 1st Vice President –Present
Becky Nelson- 2nd Vice President- Present
Paul O’Connell – Secretary/Treasurer – Present
Greg Siembieda – Director of Investigation – Present
Zach Spykerman – Director of Insurance – Present
David May – Director of Prosecution – Present
Jeff Haler – Director of Detection – Present
Jeff Hutcheson – Director at Large, West – Present
Andrew Burken – Director at Large, East – Present
Dennis Chapman- Past President- Present

III. Secretary/Treasurers Report

1. Minutes: Motion to accept from 01/11/13 by Nelson, 2nd by Haler. Passed. *Note- Dir.Hutcheson would like to note that his name is spelled 2 different ways. Corrections will be made.

2. Finances: $22,281.98 in checking account. When CD’s come to term, they will be cashed out from Community 1st Credit Union. O’Connell brought forth the CD options from US Bank. CD rates are low right now, O’Connell was given higher rates from US Bank for 19, 37, 59 month options. Discussion was for O’Connell to shop and compare to other banks. Bring the comparisons to US Bank and see if they will match. Want to continue 6 and 12 month CD’s.

3. Treasurer report: Motion to accept by Hutcheson, 2nd by Burken. Passed.

IV Officer and Board Reports

1. President Crooks

a. Registered for Orlando seminar and purchased airfare. Motion by Nelson and 2nd by May to reimburse President Crooks $722.10 for his registration and airfare to the Orlando seminar. Passed.

b. Made a presentation to a local community college about arson.

2. 1st Vice President Grier- none

3. 2nd Vice President Nelson

a. Thanks to the IFSTB for sending out our mailing to solicite new membership.

b. Would like the information for the Quad City training that is happening in May to put in Firefax. Grinnell Mutual will create a fillable registration form to send to Quad City area for the training. The dates of the training are May 15 and 16, 2013 and will consist of burn cells and classroom portion. Grinnell would like to do the forms so they can keep track of their membership and training. Discussion on room blocks and having enough room for 5 burn cells. Dir. Spykerman solicited Dir. May to assist with teaching about spoiliation of evidence.

c. Board members articles for Firefax are due next week so Nelson can get finished before March 1st.

4. Dir. Prosecution May

a. Secretary of State filing complete.

b. Teaching at the 2 week arson school at IFSTB in March.

c. Teaching a class at IASIU in Omaha, April 8-10, 2013. Classes include a 2 track

training, Chemistry, law and Negative Corpus.

5. Dir. At-Large West Hutchison

a. Speaking with SW Iowa communities to get a Lunch-n- Learn set up.

6. Dir. At-Large East Burken

a. Need to call Allan about a Lunch-n-Learn.

7. Dir. Detection Haler- nothing

8. Dir. Investigation Siembieda- nothing

9. Dir. Insurance Spykerman- nothing

V. 2013 Conference

1. 1st VP Grier handed out a tentative schedule of speakers. After some minor changes, Grier will send out a revised copy.

2. Tuesday of Conference will be Report Writing/Documentation- Hutcheson will work on an instructor.

3. Wednesday of conference will be a 2 Track day. Back to Basics will be both morning and afternoon taught by Ticer and Hutcheson. This will cover both public and private sector membership. The 2nd Track will be “Ventilation Affected Fires” in the morning and “Elevated Fires” in the afternoon. Cost will be $1500 plus travel expenses.

4. Thursday of the Conference will consist of Laboratory Information in the morning and Negative Corpus in the afternoon. These were originally switched on the schedule from Grier, but discussed to change Negative Corpus to afternoon to allow more time. Cost for Negative Corpus will only be travel expenses, class is free.

5. Friday of the Conference will be the Defense Attorney from Kansas City.

6. Discussion on entertainment after the banquet. The Board decided to not have any type of entertainment due to low numbers staying for it the past couple years. It was decided to have a raffle drawing for prizes at the banquet instead.

7. Discussion on shirts to sell at the conference. Discussion was about having a preorder option with registration that they could pick up at the conference. Also have a few shirts on hand for people to try on then order and send to them once completed to eliminate keeping stock on hand. Both logos would be an option.

8. Discussion on getting a card reader for the candy store to use on a persons phone or Ipad. This would be used when they order their shirt at the conference and pay for it. Would need to have the price to account for the card reader fee and shipping. Also, would need to have a notepad to document all information for the order to be shipped and for financial info. O’Connell will research the card reader options.

9. Discussion on what to giveaway at the conference for registration. Siembieda is going to research the option of a coffee/drink tumbler with the Iowa IAAI logo.

VI. 2014 Conference

1. No new information

VII. Committees

1. Financial Review- no report

2. CFI- Hutchison- An email will be sent to International to allow Hutcheson to proctor CFI exams. Mentioned to remember not to let your CFI certification expire.

3. Historian- no report

4. Website- Siembieda- Webpage is close to being done for initial launch. Will check with host on when it will be launched. All forms will be fillable. Email any photos to Siembieda that you feel would be worthy of placing on the website. Discussion on a “Members Only” page and if we should do it. ***ACTION ITEM by all***- Come prepared to the next meeting to discuss this after researching on your own if it is worthy. Siembieda will follow up on amount of space we have for archiving and a dollar amount to set up a “members only” page. Discussion on having the front page of the website with a motion of photos. Siembieda would also like to have Nelson as an assistant for the Website.

5. Facebook- May- Received some photos from Nelson and added some already. Always looking for information from Board to add.

6. Constitution/By-laws- Hutcheson- He needs a current copy of the By-Laws. He will write up an article to place in Firefax about any new changes people would like to submit.

7. Membership- O’Connell- No new members this month. Would like to extend a big “Thank-you” to Nelson for putting together a new membership brochure and flyer that was sent to all Fire Departments in Iowa looking for new members. Nelson will include a renewal form with the Firefax for current members to renew for 2013.

8. Scholarship- Grier- New application will be on the new web page. Form will be fillable and will come in the mail to O’Connell. Copies will need to be made and sent to current Past Presidents.

9. Past President Chapman handed out a copy of current Board and Officer contacts to be placed in the Bible. Some revisions were made and he will email it back out. O’Connell will follow up on the list of Past Presidents and Life Members and email the Board to be placed in the Bible.

VIII. Old Business- none

1. Have not heard anything new from SFM Reynolds about NASFM for 2015.

IX. New Business- none

X. Good of the Chapter

1. Crooks mentioned he received an email from IFSTB Chief Novak about voting on nominations for Firefighter of the Year to be given at the Winter Fire School.

XI. Adjournment

1. The next meeting will be on April 5, 2013, at 10:00 AM at the DCI Crime Lab in Ankeny.

2. Motion by Dir. Siembieda to adjourn at 12:05 PM. 2nd by Dir. Burken. Motion unanimous.

Respectfully submitted,

Paul O’Connell
Secretary/Treasurer
Iowa Chapter IAAI Inc.