September 7th, 2012: MinutesSeptember 7, 2012 In Minutes
I. Call to Order
The monthly meeting of Officers and Directors of the Iowa Chapter of the International Association of Arson Investigators was called to order by President VanVleet at 10:16 AM at the West Des Moines Marriot, West Des Moines, Iowa.
II. Roll Call
Roll call of Officers and Directors:
Chris Van Vleet – President – Present
Mark Crooks – 1st Vice President –Present
John Grier – 2nd Vice President –Excused
Becky Nelson – Secretary/Treasurer – Present
Greg Siembieda – Director of Investigation – Present
Zach Spykerman – Director of Insurance – Excused
David May – Director of Prosecution -Excused
Jeff Haler – Director of Detection – Excused
Tony Collins – Director at Large, West – Present
Andrew Burken – Director at Large, East – Present
III. Secretary/Treasurers Report
1. Minutes: Motion by Director Siembieda and second by 1st Vice President Crooks to accept August meeting minutes. Motion unanimous.
a. Checkbook $25237.27
b. $250 Kockler Co for annual compilation
c. $94.80 General Hosting for website
d. Board lunch $36.01
e. Deposit $6730
f. 6 month CD $3,070.36
g. 12 month CD $3,633.80
h. 12 month CD $7,714.87
i. 6 month CD $1,424.89
j. Savings $10.36
k. Paid 176 Keys $1250
3. New members
a. Jim Christensen –North Sioux City Fire
b. Cory Benge – Ottumwa Fire Department
c. Travis Wuebker – Johnston Fire Department
d. Wade Markley – Marion Fire Department
e. Motion by Director Burken and second by Director Siembieda to accept new member application. Motion unanimous.
a. Web Spec Designs took over as new webmaster. Still working to get site updated.
a. President – Mark Crooks
b. 1st Vice President – nomination for John Grier
c. 2nd Vice President – nomination for Becky Nelson
d. Secretary/Treasurer – nomination for Mark Dooley
e. Director at Large – West – nomination for John Ticer
f. Director of Detection – Jeff Haler (Sectional Meeting)
g. Board received a nomination for the Presidential Award of Excellence. Board recessed Executive session. Board reconvened. Nomination from President VanVleet for the Presidential Award of Excellence. Second by 1st Vice President Crooks. Motion unanimous.
a. No eligible scholarship applications for 2012
V. 2012 Conference
a. Secretary/Treasurer Nelson taking care of them.
a. Plaques have been taken care of by Director Siembieda.
a. Have six paid vendors displaying this year.
4. Transportation for speakers
a. Secretary/Treasurer Nelson will contact Mr. Bard to see if he needs picked up from airport.
5. Registration Packets
a. Director Burken is putting all speakers’ information on flash drive.
b. Director Siembieda is ordering the registration gift.
6. Seminar Procedure
a. Tuesday night speaker – Strait (President VanVleet will introduce)
b. President’s Reception – Some of the Directors will get supplies for this
c. Wednesday AM – opening ceremonies
i. Display of flags – Director Collins has arranged this.
ii. National Anthem – 1st Vice President Crooks will make sure this is arranged.
iii. Director Siembieda motioned the Chapter donate $50 for the honor guard and $50 for the Friends of Fine Art for their volunteering for opening ceremonies of the displaying of the flags and national anthem. Second by Director Burken. Motion unanimous.
iv. Opening remarks
v. Nominations from floor
a. Director Siembieda is the nomination committee chair and will handle with assistance from Past President Burns.
d. Wednesday Speaker – Glenn Bard (1st VP Crooks will introduce)
e. Wednesday afternoon – sectionals
f. Wednesday night – BBQ – WDM Fire will be bringing corn/hole boards.
g. Thursday AM – speaker – Glenn Bard
h. Annual Meeting
j. Friday Speaker – Steve Hamers (Director Spykerman will introduce)
k. Test – given by Terry Smith
i. Closing Meeting
VI. 2013 Conference
1. Nothing new at this time.
VII. Good of the Chapter
1. President VanVleet stated, “I would like to issue an Executive Order again this year to waive seminar registration fees for the current board and officers of the Iowa Chapter IAAI. My reasoning is the same as last year in that the officers and board members are expected to attend the monthly meetings and the annual training conference. During the annual training conference the officers and board are tasked with multiple duties and therefore often miss a significant portion of the conference. Therefore, I feel that it is unfair to expect this of the officers and board AND then expect them or their employers to pay for their required attendance at the seminar. “
President Van Vleet then stated, “I would encourage officers and board members to liaison with their employers to see if the monies saved by their waived registration fees could be utilized to send addition employees to the seminar.”
1. The next meeting will be on September 18, 2012, at 12:00 PM, at the West Des Moines Marriott.
2. Motion by Secretary/Treasurer Nelson to adjourn at 11:40 AM. 2nd by Director Collins. Motion unanimous.
Becky J. Nelson
Iowa Chapter IAAI Inc.