September 19th, 2012: MinutesSeptember 19, 2012 In Minutes
The annual meeting of the General Membership of the International Association of Arson Investigators – Iowa Chapter was called to order at Marriott, West Des Moines, Iowa at 8:30AM on September 19, 2012, pursuant to the notice sent to all members in accordance with the bylaws.
Mark Crooks 1st Vice President presided and Becky Nelson, Secretary/Treasurer, recorded the proceedings of the meeting.
Roll call of Officers and Directors:
Chris Van Vleet – President – Excused
Mark Crooks – 1st Vice President –Present
John Grier – 2nd Vice President –Present
Becky Nelson – Secretary/Treasurer – Present
Greg Siembieda – Director of Investigation – Present
Zach Spykerman – Director of Insurance – Excused
David May – Director of Prosecution -Present
Jeff Haler – Director of Detection – Present
Tony Collins – Director at Large, West – Present
Andrew Burken – Director at Large, East – Present
The first order of business was from the nomination committee. Director Siembieda took nominations from the floor as well as nominations sent via e-mail.
For the position of President. Mark Crooks was nominated.
For the position of 1st Vice President. John Grier was nominated.
For the position of 2nd Vice President. Becky Nelson was nominated.
For the position of Secretary/Treasurer. Paul O’Connell and Mark Dooley were nominated.
For the position of Director at Large-West. Jeff Hutcheson and John Ticer were nominated.
A motion duly made (Past President Hutcheson) and second (Member Cox) to cease nominations until the meeting reconvened September 20, 2012 was accepted at this time. The meeting was recessed at 9:02 AM on September 19, 2012.
The annual meeting of the General Membership of the International Association of Arson Investigators – Iowa Chapter was reconvened at Marriott, West Des Moines, Iowa at 11:04 AM on September 20, 2012, pursuant to the notice sent to all members in accordance with the bylaws.
Becky Nelson gave the Secretary/Treasurer report:
- 230 members of our association
- Checkbook balance is $35,598.12 with $15,843.92 in CD’s
- Motion made (Member Cox) to approve 2011 AGM Minutes as printed in Firefax and posted on website and seconded (Member Dooley). Motion passed unanimous.
- New members
- Ben Stammeyer, Iowa City Fire
- Brandon Sobalski, Iowa City Fire
- Troy Roth, Iowa City Fire
- Ted Hutcheson, Schaefer Engineering, Columbia, MO
- Joe Rodriguez, Sioux City Fire
- Cole Hippens, Ames Fire
- Jim Christensen, North Sioux City Fire
- Cory Benge, Ottumwa Fire
- Travis Wuebker, Johnston Fire
- Wade Markley, Marion Fire
- Tim Hostettler, West Des Moines Fire
Mark Crooks gave the 1st Vice President report:
- Was primarily responsible for getting speakers for 2012 seminar.
- Has filled in for this conference for President VanVleet as he had a family emergency.
John Grier gave the 2nd Vice President report:
- 2013 Seminar will be in Ames.
- Still needing ideas for speakers for 2013.
- Chapter didn’t receive any eligible scholarship applications for 2012.
- Achieved his IAAI CFI.
Greg Siembieda, Director of Investigation report:
- Helped in the planning for the 2012 seminar.
- Was in charge of getting registration gift and board shirts.
- Looking for topics for lunch and learn.
- Took over role of web coordinator.
- Took over Awards Chairman position.
Zack Spykerman gave the Director of Insurance report:
- During the Insurance sectional discussion on break out classes, burn cells, origin and cause classes from the basic to expert.
- Working on hosting an Expert Witness Testimony Class in 2013 as this years didn’t go through.
Andrew Burken gave Director at Large – East report:
- Working on training for eastern Iowa, don’t know for sure how long the class will be. Considering a day class, possibly a week day or a Saturday class.
Jeff Haler, Director of Detection report:
- Helped with the planning for the 2012 conference.
Tony Collins, Director at Large West report:
- Has worked to try to get more involvement from the membership west of Interstate 35.
David May, Director of Prosecution report:
- Looked over some legal issues, to include contracts, for the good of the Chapter.
Nominations for the following positions were announced:
President: Mark Crooks. A motion duly made (Past President Clark) and seconded (Past President Hutcheson) to cease nominations was unanimously approved.
1st Vice President – John Grier. A motion duly made (Past President Clark) and seconded (Past President Hutcheson) to cease nominations was unanimously approved.
2nd Vice President – Becky Nelson. A motion duly made (Past President Clark) and seconded (Past President Hutcheson) to cease nominations was unanimously approved.
Director at Large-West. John Ticer respectfully withdrew his name. Jeff Hutcheson is the nominee for this position. A motion duly made (Past President Clark) and seconded (Secretary/Treasurer Nelson) to cease nominations was unanimously approved.
A motion duly made (Past President Clark) and seconded (Past President Hutcheson) to have the Secretary cast a unanimous ballot for the uncontested positions. Motion unanimously passed.
A secret ballot was cast for the position of Secretary/Treasurer and Paul O’Connell was elected. A motion duly made (Director Spykerman) and seconded (Director Haler) to destroy the ballots. Motion unanimously passed.
Director of Detection was held in sectional meeting with Jeff Haler being re-elected to the position.
An inquiry was made as to any information for the good of the order:
- 1st Vice President Crooks read remarks from President VanVleet.
- The Presidential Award of Excellence was presented to Iowa State Fire Marshal Jeff Shatzer.
- Jim Kenkel was nominated for Life Member. A motion duly made (Secretary/Treasurer Nelson) and seconded (Director Siembieda) to grant the Life Membership Award to Kenkel. Motion unanimously passed.
- Member Kenkel stated the Fire Service Training Bureau will be getting a burn trailer and can be available for training opportunities. Contact Kenkel at the FSTB if interested.
- Past President/Site Selection Chair Clark has a signed contract for 2013 in Ames. Still working on possible sites for 2014.
- A motion made (Member Dooley) to pay Secretary/Treasurer’s membership stipend at $4.25 per member and seconded (Director Siembieda). Motion unanimously passed.
The next meeting of the General Membership will be held at the next Annual Seminar, at the Quality Inn & Suites, Ames, Iowa September 17-20, 2013. Times will be posted in the brochure for the 2013 seminar.
There being no further business before the meeting, it was, in motion duly made (Member Cox and seconded (Director Siembieda), adjourned at 11:56 AM.
Becky J. Nelson
Iowa Chapter IAAI Inc.