June 8th, 2012: MinutesJune 8, 2012 In Minutes
I. Call to Order
The monthly meeting of Officers and Directors of the Iowa Chapter of the International Association of Arson Investigators was called to order at 10:38 AM at Quality Inn and Suites, Ames, Iowa.
II. Roll Call
Roll call of Officers and Directors:
Chris Van Vleet – President – Present
Mark Crooks – 1st Vice President –via phone conference
John Grier – 2nd Vice President –Present
Becky Nelson – Secretary/Treasurer – Present
Greg Siembieda – Director of Investigation – Excused
Zach Spykerman – Director of Insurance – Present
David May – Director of Prosecution -Present
Jeff Haler – Director of Detection – Present
Tony Collins – Director at Large, West – Excused
Andrew Burken – Director at Large, East – Present
Also in attendance: Alan Clark
III. Secretary/Treasurers Report
1. Minutes: Motion by Secretary/Treasurer Nelson and second by Director May to accept May meeting minutes as taken by Second Vice President Grier with corrections. Motion unanimous.
a. Board lunch ($27.26)
b. Board lunch ($57.66)
c. Scholarships for spring 2011-2012 ($500) for Knutzen and Grothus
d. Reimbursement for Past President Clark for site selection ($138.75)
e. Half of the cost for 176 for entertainment for the banquet ($1250)
f. Six month rental for post office ($22)
g. Deposit ($350)
h. Checkbook ending balance $20,715.09
i. Savings $10.36
j. 6 month CD $3,067.83
k. 12 month CD $3,630.46
l. 12 month CD $7,697.70
m. 6 month CD $1,422.39
3. New members
a. Cole Hippens, Ames PD
b. Motion by Second Vice President Grier and second by Director Spykerman to accept new member application. Motion unanimous.
a. Motion by Second Vice President Grier and second by Director Haler to give Director Siembieda authority to move ahead with getting web master to update the website at cost of $1,900. Motion unanimous.
b. Contract with current webmaster may be terminated per Director May. He will compile a letter to send for termination of services.
a. 1st Vice President – nomination for John Grier.
b. 2nd Vice President – nomination for Becky Nelson.
c. Secretary/Treasurer – nomination for Mark Dooley.
V. 2012 Conference
1. Discussion on what time to start banquet at seminar due to having entertainment following formal ceremony. Was agreed to begin at 6:30 with bar and social time to start at 6:00 PM.
2. Opening Ceremonies
a. Director Collins is getting the honor guard for opening ceremonies.
b. Jess Dunn has the National Anthem taken care of.
c. Director Siembieda is working on awards.
3. Room Reservations
a. Secretary/Treasurer Nelson will get rooms for the appropriate people.
4. Secretary/Treasurer Nelson will send out invites for potential vendors.
VI. 2013 Conference
1. Site Selection
a. Chairman Clark produced a hotel bid analysis of all properties, which submitted bids. Discussion by Board.
b. Board was given a tour of the new renovations at the Quality Inn and Suites. Renovations completed to date are very nice, with more in progress.
c. Motion by Director Spykerman for Chairman Clark to sign a 2013 contract with the Quality Inn and Suites in Ames and to talk to Clarion, who has renovations under way, about extending their proposal for 2014 and bring information back to the Board. Motion unanimous.
2. Topics are still needed for 2013 seminar, which will be led by the 1st Vice President.
VII. Good of the Chapter
1. Director Spykerman is still working for the Chapter to host the Expert Testimony Class in November.
1. The next meeting will be on July 6, 2012, at 10:00 AM, location to be determined. Past President Clark will check with the Marriott as a possible meeting location.
2. Motion by Director Haler to adjourn at 12:23 PM. 2nd by Director Spykerman. Motion unanimous.
Becky J. Nelson
Iowa Chapter IAAI Inc.