May 4th, 2012: Minutes

May 4, 2012 In Minutes

I. Call to Order

The monthly meeting of Officers and Directors of the Iowa Chapter of the International Association of Arson Investigators was called to order at 10:25 AM at the Iowa DCI Laboratory, Ankeny, Iowa.

II. Roll Call

Roll call of Officers and Directors:

Chris Van Vleet – President – Present
Mark Crooks – 1st Vice President – Present
John Grier – 2nd Vice President –Present
Becky Nelson – Secretary/Treasurer – Excused
Greg Siembieda – Director of Investigation – Present
Zach Spykerman – Director of Insurance – Excused
David May – Director of Prosecution -Present
Jeff Haler – Director of Detection – Present
Tony Collins – Director at Large, West – Excused
Andrew Burken – Director at Large, East – Via phone for portion of meeting/Excused

Dennis Chapman – Past President – Present

III. Secretary/Treasurers Report

1. Motion by Director Haler second by Director Siembieda, for the minutes from the minutes from the April 6, 2012 meeting to stand as printed.  Motion unanimous.

2. No Treasurers report available for review; will review at next scheduled meeting.

IV. Officers/Board Reports

1. President VanVleet

2. 1st VP Crooks

a. Attended IAAI ATC in Dover.  Good seminar with engaging speakers and classes.  Live burn class by Jamie Novak was particularly interesting.

b. Attended President’s reception.  All chapters experiencing similar issues with decreasing membership and lower attendance at seminar; some chapters have decreased the length of seminars to reduce costs.

c. Each chapter received DVD marketing IAAI services.

d. 2013 ATC will be held May 5-10 in Orlando.

3. 2nd V.P. Grier

a. Also attended IAAI ATC in Dover.  Enjoyable conference and interesting location.  Tour of the track was a highlight.

b. Elevated Fires class was great.  Potential class for 2013.

4. Direct at Large West Collins

5. Direct at Large East Burken

a. Working with Grinnell Mutual to conduct burn cell training in Bettendorf in May 2013.

b. Davenport still working on coordinating a MAFIT type group for their region.

6. Director Haler

7. Director Spykerman

8. Director May

a. Participated in 5K race and raised ~ $2,500.

9. Director Siembieda

V. Committee Reports

1. Site Selection

a. Past President Clark will be forwarding summary of offers to Board.  A number of sites have submitted bids.

b. Ames Quality Inn has offered to host a Board meeting to show off the improvements of their facility.

2. Financial Review

a. Now that the tax season has passed, the financial information will be submitted for annual review.

3. Awards

a. Director Siembieda will be meeting with Jess Dunn to review procurement process.

1. Discussed who is eligible for awards this year.  Will need to confirm.

2. Presidential Award nominees

3. Lifetime Membership—one name has been submitted for consideration.

4. Separate award from State Fire Marshal this year.

4. CFI

a. No applications for Iowa members.  Past President Hutcheson added to committee.

5. Nominations

a.

      1. President
        1. Mark Crooks
      2. 1st Vice President
        1. John Grier
      1. 2nd Vice President
        1. Becky Nelson
      2. Director of Detection
        1. Jeff Haler
      3. Secretary/Treasurer
        1. Mark Dooley
      4. Director At-Large West

6. Communications

a. Website has had some minor revisions made but the bulk of the requested changes remain incomplete.  The change requests and pertinent information has been forwarded to webmaster on multiple occasions.  Director Siembieda has made initial contact with Web Spec representative to discuss services.  Web Spec would be able to provide webhosting services to meet our needs: member page, Pay Pal registration, ability to make minor changes ourselves, etc.

b. Motion by Director Haler to end contract with Scot Johnson and pursue new webhosting contract with Web Spec.   Second by Director May. Motion unanimous.  Director Siembieda will contact Web Spec to discuss contract particulars.

c. FACEBOOK page setup remains in progress.

7. Scholarships

a. Have received one scholarship application.  New application packet has not been updated on website.

8. Training

a. Expert witness class remains on radar.

9. 2012 Seminar

a. 1st Vice President Crooks sent contract back to PATC.  No issues with dates, times or costs.

b. “176 Keys” decreased bid to $2,500 to meet spending limit in previous Board motion.  1st Vice President will sign contract.

c. Director Siembieda is researching registration gifts.

d. Door prize and raffle discussion.  Do we want to continue past practice?

e. Director Collins is working to secure personnel for opening ceremony.

10. 2013 Seminar

a. Still open as to location.  Will be reviewing bids in the near future.

b. Potential classes: Report Writing, Elevated Fires, NFPA 921 review.

VI. Old Business

VII. New Business

1. Chapter Clothing

a. Director Siembieda to provide shirt samples for review.

b. Discussion regarding logo choice for clothing.  No consensus reached.

c. Discussed ordering Board shirts prior to 2012 seminar.  Style remains undecided.

VIII. Good of the Chapter

1. Armstrong Labs requested we pass information onto our membership.  Will handle similar to previous requests—pass on information and let members make choice.

IX. Adjournment

1. Next meeting will be held June 8, 2012.  Tentatively scheduled at 10:30 AM at the Ames Quality Inn.  President Van Vleet will confirm.

2. Motion by Director Siembieda to adjourn.  Second by 1st Vice President Crooks.  Motion unanimous.

Respectfully submitted,

John Grier
2nd Vice President
Iowa Chapter IAAI Inc.